Interested in showing your support for energy but don't know how? Here are some suggestions for how to advocate.
IT'S ABOUT CONNECTING WITH HEARTS AND MINDS,
NOT ONLY FACTS AND FIGURES.
1. Be proud to support Canadian oil and gas.
2. When you see an article or news story that is inaccurate and defamatory towards Canada’s oil and gas sector, write to the reporter and the news outlet.
4. Challenge perceptions. Telling someone you know that you support oil and gas could go a long way in changing their perceptions because they trust and respect your opinions and views.
5. Challenge misinformation.
6. Attend a pro-energy rally.
7. Talk to your elected representatives. Let all elected officials know that you support balanced, responsible energy development, and you want them to be part of a coherent, informed, rational conversation on your behalf. All it takes are three to five letters from constituents to get your representative’s attention.
8. Talk to the media. Don't shy away from giving your perspective on issues.
9. If you’re an industry executive, speak up. Share your personal stories about working in oil and gas. Encourage your staff to attend pro-oil and gas events.
10. Connect with people you know on a personal level and explain the business.
11. Be respectful and be open to talking with anyone who is willing to have a discussion. Don’t tolerate abuse or mistreatment, but don’t give it either.